Life is Good!

L i F E i s G O Pewter Uppercase Letter O Bead Letter D

Boys Read Jon Szcieska

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Thing 4 - Photosharing and Editing

Flickr could be a wonderful way to keep backups of your photos, or sharing them with others. It is quite easy to upload the files. I think I should have created new accounts on Google and Yahoo though - for all of these Things.

I'm not sure I trust putting anything too personal on the account, though. Yes, I can imagine that this site would be wonderful to share pics of a new baby, etc., with family and friends. But how do we REALLY know if someone else doesn't have access to our account? The Flickr server has to know our password, or it wouldn't let us in. What if someone hacks into their server? Or someone captures our password online? OK... I sound like a Conspiracy Therorist... I just have a bit of trouble with all of the privacy that we are throwing to the wind in the name of "social networking". When thieves can swipe a card into a gas pump, and learn private data about the person who just paid by credit card, it scares me. Identity theft is a big issue right now, and yet, we think nothing of posting personal information online.

I do think it would be a good way for teachers to post pictures for teaching topics - especially as creative writing prompts. So, I guess I like Flickr for educational uses, but don't know if I would use it personally. I just really don't want to give up my 35 mm film camera, and kodak paper! Which is why my Flickr pic comes from my computer camera. I don't own a digital camera (yet).

No comments: