Life is Good!

L i F E i s G O Pewter Uppercase Letter O Bead Letter D

Boys Read Jon Szcieska

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thing 7 - Web 2.0 Communication Tools

In the library, I use email to communicate to all of the staff, as a group. If I have new books, or if there is something of interest media, or technology, -wise that I want everyone to know. The problem is that not all staff use email. Even at this point in time!

We don't have staff meeting too often, and email has been the most timely form of communication for me. However, I still prefer to make contact with people in person. For example, if a teacher is doing a project on a certain topic, and I know we have a few really good books/reference materials/website that would be beneficial to him/her, I might stop them on their way through (or track them down) and actually show them the book/other material and tell them, or show them, a bit about it. In that way, they actually "get" the info. Sometimes when I am in a hurry, I skim emails from people and then "push the info into the back folder in my brain" until I find time to digest it. Of course, many times, I never get back to it. :(

I do use email many times each day to keep in contact with friends and family. Otherwise my long distance bill would be sky high. That, and it is very convenient to write a quick note and they can read it when they have time. I have used IM, but not very often. I like using, but time can go quickly and before you know it, it is hours later! I do not text message. IT takes too much time!

I have done a few phone/web conferences. The most recent being training from Follett. I like the fact that I can see what the trainer is doing, but still feel a little "distanced" and less likely to ask questions. I guess I still like face-to-face communication.

No comments: