Life is Good!

L i F E i s G O Pewter Uppercase Letter O Bead Letter D

Boys Read Jon Szcieska

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Thing 20 - Libraries and Social Networks

I was introduced to Facebook last year when some of the students I work with showed me their pages. I was amazed at how many of the students have accounts on this site. It wouldn't surprise me that Facebook is the fastest growing social network, since you can see your friends, and their friends, etc. It is like that old commercial - I don't even know what they were advertising - but the words said something like... you should tell two friends, and they will tell two friends, and they will tell two friends, etc. Navigating this site isn't too difficult, plus with all the people using this site, someone you know is bound to be willing help you!

I looked at My Space, but didn't spend much time on it. A few years ago, I heard that my niece was on the site, so I checked it out. There was no need for me to sign in to find out all about her. All I did was type in a first name in a 30 mile radius and found her right away. She had a pic posted, info on where she goes to school, where she hangs out, etc. I was shocked. The red flag was flying high! At my urging, she took off her pic, and I guess now you can make a profile private or something, but it scared me knowing that ANYONE could find out so much info about a minor! Very scary.

I think Facebook is much more safe, and can very useful for communicating with people who are physically distant from you. I am afraid that it could be another of those interenet "tools" that take over your life, so you sit in front of the computer instead of actually going outside and doing something!

No comments: